If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (800) 425-7178

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How do molds affect people?

9/22/2017 (Permalink)

Some people are more sensitive to molds that others.  Those people who are sensitive to mold will have symptoms such as eye irritation, wheezing, skin irritations or nasal stuffiness.  More severe  reactions can include fever or shortness of breath.  In isolated cases, people with chronic lung illnesses may develop mold infections in their lungs.

A 2004 study conducted by the Institute of Medicine found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children.

Here are some specific recommendations to help avoid excessive mold growth in your home:

  • Keep humidity levels as low as you can - no higher than 50%. 
  • Use an air conditioner or a dehumidifier during humid months.
  • Be sure your home has adequate ventilation, including exhaust fans.
  • Add mold inhibitors to paints before application.
  • Clean bathrooms with mold killing products
  • Do not carpet bathrooms or basements
  • Promptly remove or replace previously soaked carpets and upholstery.

Mold can begin to grow within 48 hours.  So, time is important.

If the job is bigger than you want to handle, give us a call!  SERVPRO of Southeast Milwaukee County is here to help.

Other News

View Recent Posts