Back to School
School days bring congestion: School buses are picking up their passengers, kids on bikes are hurrying to get to school before the bell rings, harried parents are trying to drop their kids off before work.
It's never more important for drivers to slow down and pay attention than when kids are present - especially before and after school.
According to research by the National Safety Council, most children seriously injured in a Bus/Car accident are between 4-7 years old and are walking.
We need to watch for them and remember to avoid blocking the crosswalk when stopped at a red light. Watch for those flashing lights that indicate a heavy flow of pedestrians crossing the crosswalk or intersection.
Be alert; children often are unpredictable, and they tend to ignore hazards and take risks.
Emergency Ready Profile
A guide to help you get back into your building after a disaster.
The BEST way to reduce business interruption following a disaster is to plan for it NOW.
As many as 50% of businesses may never recover following a disaster, according to the latest industry research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insuranc epolicy aimed at peach of mind.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile for you business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile is a start up approach that provides the critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services. It is designed to serve as a quick reference of important building and contact information. By working with SERVPRO's Emergency Ready Profile, your business will receive the benefit of over 40 years of experience in reducing the impact of any natural or man-made disaster. SERVPRO is a leader in water and fire response and can help you quickly get your property back in working order.
Call SERVPRO of Southeast Milwaukee County to get started at a no cost assessment of your facility!
My dishwasher leaked all over my hardwood floors
Cupping hardwood floors due to water damage
It happens. Your dishwasher leaks all over your beautiful hardwood floors and not they are starting to cup. The first thought is that you will need to pull them up and replace them - not necessarily.
Give SERVPRO of Southeast Milwaukee County a call - we have had great success in drawing out the moisture in hardwood floors allowing them to be sanded and refinished Much more economical over replacement.
How do we do this? We use our Injectidry Mat System that uses the power of a high-pressure blower to draw the moisture right through the surface of the floor. We create containment and pump dehumidified air into the containment. It takes between 5-10 days to accomplish dependent on how long the wood was saturated before we began, but the results are amazing.
So, before you start ripping out that beautiful hardwood, give us a call!
SERVPRO of Southeast Milwaukee County "Like it never even happened"
Your Safety is Most Important!
Have two ways out!
Did you know that if a fire starts in your home you may have as little as two minutes to escape? During a fire, early warning from a working smoke alarm plus a fire escape plan that has been practiced regularly can save lives.
Top Tips for Fire Safety
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
- Test smoke alarms every month. If they're not working, change the batteries.
- Talk with family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year.
- If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL FOR HELP. Never go back inside for anything or anyone.
4 Steps to take immediately after a home fire:
- Calk 9-1-1. Give first aid where needed.
- Let friends and family know you're safe
- People and animals that are seriously injured or burned should be transported to professional medical or veterniary help immediately.
- Stay out of fire-damage homes until local fire authorities say it is safe to re-enter.
One the fire department has released the site, call SERVPRO of Southeast Milwaukee County to come in an make it "Like it never even happened."
Mold vs Mildew
mold vs mildew
Most people lump mold and mildew together as the same thing. But these fungi do have several key difference that will be helpful to know when you encounter them.
Both mold and mildew are members of the fungi kingdom. They grow in moist or humid areas, like bathrooms and attics and oftentimes gives off a strong musty odor as they grow. Mold and mildew both produce and emit spores to reproduce and feed on organic materials.
Mildew is a surface fungi that can easily be identified as a patch of gray or even white fungus that is lying on the surface of a moist area.
Mildew is usually easily treated with a store bought cleaner, a scrubbing brush and some good old fashioned elbow grease.
Mildew has no known beneficial uses.
Mold, on the other hand, can be black or green and is often the result of a much larger infestation.
Some molds, like Penicillium, are used in the production of food and pharmaceutical drugs.
Make sure it's safe
Before entering a building where flood damage may have occurred, make sure it's safe: check for electrical hazards and structural damage, and use proper protective gear like boots, gloves and respirators.
Then follow these tips:
- Act quickly. the severity of damage escalates the longer water sits and building materials stay wet, so time is of the essence. Mold will grow within 48-72 hours, so aim to start removing water and drying the environment within 48 hours.
- Have professionals, like SERVPRO of Southeast Milwaukee County on hand to call and understand your insurance policy.
- Access damage to items and materials along with the type of water absorbed by items, such as rainwater, water from broke pipes, contaminated river water or bacteria-filled sewage.
- Conduct a thorough cleaning. SERVPRO of Southeast Milwaukee County has the equipment and proper cleaning chemicals to clean and sanitize your home as well as the drying equipment to properly dry your home.
Be Safe this Halloween!
Halloween is a fun and spooky, time of year for kids of all ages. Make trick or treating safe for the little ones with a few easy safety tips:
- If your child is wearing a mask, make sure the eye holes are large enough so he or she can see out.
- When choosing a costume, stay away from long trailing fabric that could result in your child tripping.
- Keep dried flowers and cornstalks away from open flames and other heat sources like light bulbs and heaters.
- Use a battery operated candle or glow stick in jack-o-lanterns.
- If you choose to use candles inside your jack-o-lanterns, keep them well away from anything that can burn and far enough out of the way of trick-or-treaters, doorsteps, walkways etc.
- Make sure all smoke alarms in the home are working.
According to NFPA, decorations are the first thing to ignite in 900 reported home fires each year. Two of every five of these fires were started by a candle.
Be Safe and Have Fun this Halloween!
Fall Safety Check List
Fall is the perfect time of the year to prepare your home for cold weather and ensuring your home is as safe as possible. So take advantage of the somewhat warmer weather (comparatively speaking) and follow the Fall Safety Check list below.
Here is a Fall Safety Check List:
- Change the batteries in all smoke detectors (you should have one on every level of your home)
- Change the batteries in all carbon monoxide monitors (you should have one on every level of your home)
- Check all vents for any debris
- Check fireplaces for any debris
- Winterize your outdoor faucets
- Check trees for any broken limbs
- Double check your gutters for debris
- Check your furnace filters
SERVPRO of Southeast Milwaukee County wants you and your family to stay safe. If you have an emergency, please give us a call. We can be on site quickly and have the equipment and expertise to take care of your water or fire cleanup.
SERVPRO of Southeast Milwaukee County "Like it never even happened."
"Ready for whatever happens"
Call us at 414-421-3500 to get started
The best way to reduce business interruption following a disaster is to plan for it now!
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile Advantage
- A no cost assessment of your facility.
- This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects, but it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help you get back into you building following a disaster.
- This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
- Establishes SERVPRO of Southeast Milwaukee County as your disaster mitigation restoration provider.
- You will have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader close by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
- Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency your are "Ready for whatever happens".
Don't wait, call early
Water damage occurs when excess water begins to pool in ares where it shouldn't. Many different factors can create this excess water and thereby contribute to water damage.
When you are aware of potential causes, you can take precautionary measures to insure against a leak or flood. Basically, the sooner you notice and address your water, the better!
Causes of water damage:
- Bursting or leaking pipes
- Issues with the plumbing system
- Buildup in areas prone to collecting water, such as a crawl spaces, attics and basements
- Faulty or malfunctioning household appliances
- Heating, ventilating and air conditioning issues
- Natural disasters and other weather related water problems.
If you have any water issues, call SERVPRO of Southeast Milwaukee County. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and can be at your home home or business quickly to take care of the clean up and restoration "Like it never even happened."