After the Storm
Be careful to take certain precautions after the store has passed. Damage to your home can have a dramatic, emotional impact, and it's best to have a plan before the store strikes on how to proceed when it's over. Having a plan, and being aware of certain risks, will minimize the threat to you or your family.
Keep these tips in mind:
- Have a portable radio with fresh batteries on hand, and stay tuned to local news organizations for important announcements, bulletins and instructions.
- Remember that you may not have immediate access to your home. Roads could be blocked and power lines could be down.
- Make sure you have current identification.
- Avoid driving as roads may be blocked.
- Avoid sight-seeing or entering a storm affected area
- Avoid downed power lines
- Avoid metal fences and other metal objects
- Do NOT use matches in a store affected area until all gas lines are checked for leaks - keep flashlights and plenty of batteries on hand.
- Use a camera to record thoroughly any damage done to you home before any repairs are attempted.
- In certain areas, the flooding rains that accompany a store can create pest problems. Be aware of potential pest problems in your area., such as mice, rats, insects or snakes that may have "come with the storm".
- Use your phone only for emergencies.
- Assume the water is not safe and use properly store water.
These are just a few ideas to be thinking about before and after a server storm hits.